Monday, July 19, 2010

San Diego - Day One!

I headed out to San Diego today for my solo-vacation. I was super excited to be going to the beach. The excitement didn't last long when I got there and it was cloudy and COLD! According to the locals, this has been the coldest summer in the last 80 years. Oi!

I stayed at the KOA Kampgrounds in Chula Vista, CA. I was about 15 miles from the border of California and Mexico, which is the closest I have ever been to leaving the United States. Sigh. I have big, big plans for the next vacation Michael and I take. Anyway, the grounds were lovely and very clean. Although, when I got to my campsite, my stupid neighbors had taken my BBQ! Not only that, they had all the BBQs in the area! What hogs!


Here is the only picture you're going to see of sunlight! I set up the tent and the clouds broke and rays of sun glinted down on her majestically. Needless to say, I was stoked. Time to go to the beach...
This is a random snapshot of Ocean Beach. It was wet, it was cold, it was gray. I... was sad. I love sunshine, probably even more than I love the beach, which is saying something. I tried to get into the water, but decided against hypothermia on my first day in Southern California. I started to read a book on the sand, but the darned sand flies kept buzzing around me. Entire colonies (flocks, hoards, groups - what is the group name for sand flies?) kept circling me. I ended up moving up the beach away from the Kelp.

When I got back to camp I was too hungry to wait for another grill to be delivered to my campsite. (They forgot anyway, as I never received the promised grill.) The thing was really heavy and I had to drag it from the "empty" campsite next to mine. I started grilling these awesome kabobs when a group of French people pulled into the campsite where I had purloined the grill. Ooops. They totally knew I was the culprit because of the drag marks from their campsite to mine. The Frenchies got me back by snoring very loudly at night, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment